Eligibility, arranging travel insurance and registering trip details


Expand All

Employees, volunteers and students are eligible for University travel insurance.

  • Employee is any person under a contract of services or apprenticeship, work experience or secondment with the University and includes those employed on a temporary or casual contract. It does not include consultants engaged on consultancy contracts.
  • Volunteer is any person approved as a volunteer by the department and University, acting under the University’s direction and control, and not receiving payment for time either from the University or any other organisation.
  • Student includes all current student members of the University and includes visiting students under the supervision, direction and control of the University.

Plan the trip in accordance with the University Safety Office Overseas Travel and Safety in Fieldwork guidelines. Travel insurance cover depends on compliance with the advice given on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website. Country information should also be monitored whilst in country.

If advice changes whilst away, contact your supervisor to review your plans and if premature departure is needed, you must contact the Emergency Assistance Provider (PDF).

The University’s travel policy includes cover for emergency medical expenses resulting from a pre-existing medical condition, however, cover will not operate in respect of journeys taken against the advice of a Qualified Medical Practitioner or where any existing medical condition is not under control and it is foreseeable that medical assistance may be needed on a journey.

It is strongly recommended that if you suffer from a pre-existing medical condition you visit your GP prior to travelling in order to check that you are fit to travel and undertake the duties intended. This will ensure that in the event of a claim, evidence is available to confirm you were not travelling against medical advice and that any existing medical conditions were considered under control at the start of your Journey.

You can apply for the University Travel Insurance or register your travel details by completing the online application form here. You will need an SSO to access the system. If you do not have an SSO, your application can be completed on your behalf by someone else.

Insurance should be applied for at the time of booking your trip to make sure cancellation cover is in place.

We strongly recommend that you still register your trip details using the online form even if the University Travel Insurance is not required. This can be done by selecting 'I do not wish to apply for University insurance' on the first page.

Your approved risk assessment and any other supporting documentation should be uploaded as part of the online application process.

Your department will refer your application to the Insurance Office if any of the referral criteria applies in order to arrange cover.  Please allow six weeks for travel referrals to be completed.

Your department will either approve your application or contact you via the online system if they have any further queries.


Expand All

Sports clubs must be registered with the Sports Federation and non-sports clubs or societies must be registered with the Proctors' Office.

University sport clubs need to plan the trip in accordance with the University's Sports Safety guidelines.  All other University registered clubs and societies need to plan the trip in accordance with the University Safety Office guidlines.  Please therefore contact the Safety Office for further information. Travel insurance cover depends on compliance with the advice given on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website.

Once your trip has been approved and you have made your booking, travel insurance can be arranged. Each member requiring travel insurance must complete and sign a Travel insurance application form.

Insurance should be applied for at the time of booking your trip to make sure cancellation cover is in place.

Send your approved risk assessment and travel insurance application forms to the Insurance Office, together with one Club cheque for the total premium payable (£18 per insured person) payable to "Oxford Mutual Ltd".  The Insurance Office will notify when your application is complete and insurance is in place.


Note: Travellers to countries within the EU should obtain the EHIC card for reciprocal healthcare arrangements. This card is valid for up to 5 years from receipt, and travellers are encouraged to check that their EHIC card covers their inclusive travel dates.

Contact us

 : Finance Division
      University of Oxford
      23-38 Hythe Bridge Street

      Oxford OX1 2ET

 : insurance@admin.ox.ac.uk

 : Buildings, Contents and Liability - 
       01865 (6) 16012
       Motor, Travel and Engineering -
       01865 (6) 16078

 : Oxford Mutual Ltd
       Finance Division,
       University of Oxford
       23-38 Hythe Bridge Street,
       OX1 2ET
1 Start 2 Complete
19/10/2019 03:13:31
List of site pages