The UO Project Portfolio with Spend Report was updated on 22 July 2019. The key difference from the existing version is that you will be able to run the report to a closed period, using the GL Period To parameter. To return a current snapshot (as per the existing report), use the current GL Period in this parameter.
Please note that we started storing Projects commitments data in May 2017. If you run the report to a period prior to May-17, the report will not show any commitments.
The report also features other additional parameters, Division and Project Number From/To. The former allows you to run the report for a whole Division if you have the appropriate access, whereas the latter allows you to run it for a range of projects.
To enhance the usability of the report, a number of parameters have also been renamed:
- Project Principal Investigator has been replaced with Project Manager
- Top Task Principal Investigator has been replaced with Task Manager
- Sponsor has been replaced with Project Customer
- Exclude Collaborator Elements has been replaced with Include or Exclude External Collaborators
- View Option has been replaced with Include or Exclude Overheads
We have taken the opportunity to add a number of columns:
- Customer Order Number – the customer/grantor reference number and, where applicable, the customer/grantor purchase order number
- Division – the name of the Division which owns the project
- Requisition Approver – the Requisition Approver nominated at top task level
- Burden Override – the cost centre number for overheads postings, if different from the default for your department
The old report (UO Project Portfolio with Spend report) will be kept online for a period of time to give users the chance to update any tools that have been built based upon the existing report. We expect this to be taken down on Monday 16 September 2019.
Why run this report?
For a high-level summary of budgets, expenditure, and commitments across a department's portfolio of projects. It can also inform the budgeting and forecasting cycle as well as other analysis of financial activity across the department's portfolio of projects.
When should you run this report?
It is recommended that the report is run monthly.
The report uses data which is updated overnight so it will not return data for transactions posted on the day the report is run. It should not be run between 11.30pm and 5.00am to ensure accuracy of data.
How to run this report
Select from the following parameters:
Note: Enter the appropriate GL Period To as follows:
- Current month for data as at yesterday
- Previous month for data as at the end of that month
Which outputs are available for this report?
- Excel - a simple list of data that can be filtered but has no totals.
- Excel Pivot - designed to make analysis of the data easier, the default layout can be changed once the report has opened in Excel from this output.
Which roles have access to this report?
- UO Project Manager
- UO Projects Departmental Enquiry
- UO Projects Departmental User
Hints and Tips
The report returns separate lines for each project/top task/expenditure category combination. The Pivot format has been supplied to make project-level reporting easier.
Output example: Report output example: UO Project Portfolio with Spend report (PDF)